FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cucumber Plant Maintenance: Nutrients, Disease and Pests

Cucumber Plant Maintenance: 
Nutrients, Disease and Pests

Let me start with saying if it is healthy... don't fix it. Each garden has its own special needs when it comes to managing nutrients, diseases and pests. I am in Maryland Zone 7 and my garden is blessed with hot humid summers that bring in their own set of diseases and pests. I also have very clay soil that is great for macro-nutrients but poor in the big 3, better known as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (NPK) So... I am giving you guidelines and ideas but not exact recipes of maintenance. It is important to know your garden needs. Start with less and add more as needed.

Cucumbers are a favorite crop of many vegetable gardeners. They are heavy producers but that also makes them heavy feeders. They seem to be quite susceptible to powdery mildew and soft bodied insects that suck the sap out of them. Yellowing leaves can be caused be nutrient deficiencies or pest invasions. It is not always easy to tell what came first.

This video gives you some very effective ways to manage your cucumber plants with hope they live long and produce. I address adding nutrients, spraying for diseases and spraying for pests. I also include the recipes. Good luck in the garden!







Join My Google+ Community Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens (1700+ Members!)
Over 100 HD Garden Videos: Join My YouTube Video Gardening Channel
Follow and Organize The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest